Reminder that it is our rule for hunters to wear some article of blaze orange (hat or vest) during firearms season. Officers have noticed several of our hunters not wearing blaze orange in the last two days. We have firearm hunter neighbors that hunt close to the property line and have a report of one entering our property after a wounded deer. We want to make sure you are visible and safe.
MN firearms season runs through Sunday, Nov 12 in this region.
A friendly reminder to all hunters: neighbor relations are extremely important to us and we have had a few complaints in the last week. Please make sure you are hunting at least 50 yards from the property boundary (per abbey hunt rules). If you see one of our neighbors’ permanent stands near the boundary please do your best to avoid setting up in proximity to them. And you should not be walking across neighbors’ land at any time to access your stands. Thanks for your cooperation.
Available deer hunt districts are updated and posted on the deer hunt website. Review and request stand changes using the links below.
All the best,
Abbey land manager
It’s been a beautiful first few days of the Abbey Arboretum archery hunt. One hunter had a successful doe harvest on the morning of the first day!
We have updated our website with the list of current open/filled districts. There are a few openings, so if you are looking to move into a new district you can submit a district change request form. A couple of reminders:
- You cannot move to the new district until you’ve received a confirmation from our staff.
- Except in rare cases, we will not be responding to change requests on weekends, so please plan accordingly!
While driving into work last week one of our staff had to patiently wait for three deer to cross the road at the four-way stop on campus (they did not use the crosswalk), so we know they’re out there. Good luck!
Saint John’s Abbey Arboretum announced the results to the lottery for the archery deer hunt on Thursday, August 24. If you did not receive an email from [email protected], it could be due to one of the following:
- It was routed to your spam/junk folder – check there first.
- The email address you provided came back as undeliverable.
- You did not provide an email address and we have sent you a letter through U.S. mail.
If you have any questions about your status, please contact us. Thanks!
The Minnesota DNR posted the Deer Permit Area Map for 2017.
- Area 218 (the majority of Abbey land, south of I-94) is a Managed Area with a 2 deer limit.
- Area 215 (north of I-94) is an Intensive Area with a 3 deer limit.
Application deadline for the Saint John’s Abbey hunt is this Monday, August 7 by 4 p.m.
We have published the dates and details for the 2017 Abbey Arboretum archery deer hunt on our website. Important dates to note:
- Applications (and the $5 application fee) are due by 4 p.m. on Monday, August 7.
- Notification of lottery status by August 25.
- Hunting fee of $35 due by September 5 (for those selected to hunt)
- Orientation/Safety Training dinner on Friday, September 29
- Hunt begins on Wednesday, October 18 and runs through December 31.
We celebrated the retirement of Tom Kroll this spring and welcomed the new Abbey Land Manager this summer. John Geissler was most recently the director of the Boulder Lake Environmental Learning Center in Duluth. Read more about John in our summer newsletter and feel free to stop by and introduce yourself in the coming months.
Share this announcement and the hunt details with anybody you know who might be interested. As always, contact us if you have any questions.
John Geissler, Abbey Land Manager, 320-363-3126
Jenny Kutter, Department Coordinator, 320-363-3163